Thursday, January 6, 2011

MY CHRISTMAS PRESENT



Amish Fireplace


I have been wanting to order an Amish Fireplace ever since I saw one in a friend's home, and then have Frank build a mantel to go around it.  When we found out that his back has healed, and he could play golf once again.  I figured he would be able to build the mantel.  So this would become my Christmas present from him.  I made a mistake and didn't really check out the different types as my friend's has a smoldering fire look.  I was impressed with it.  So what did I order the one that doesn't do that.  May be sometime in the future, I will order the heater part that has that function. 

This is the beginning of the project



After we received the fireplace, we started to talk about what we wanted, and then Frank looked at mantels on the Internet and we found one that we liked and he is using it as a pattern.
The plan coming together




Frank took the fireplace out to work with.  He took the wheels off and set it inside the mantel.  He has built a back piece and is talking about putting rock on it.  Today he nailed the back piece on and put the primer on.  He is going to paint it antique white which matches our molding and trim in our home.  I forgot to take a picture of it today.  We are going to put the fireplace next to the wall where our oak shelves are. The oak shelves are going to the DI.

One more step, Frank painted it antique white.  We went to Home Depot and picked out some tile to put on the back board that will fill the hole in the middle.  Frank will break the tile into pieces and place them on the back board.  I can't wait to see the finished product.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for dropping by my blog. It is a place for me to let my family and friends know what is happening in the daily lives of Frank and I. I appreciate your comments.